Sunday 10 February 2013

2013 Orchid display at Kew Gardens


For my third day in the South East I visited Kew Gardens. This is one of my all time favourite places to go. This weekend saw the opening of this years orchid display which turns most of the Princess of Wales Conservatory into a giant orchid green house. This is the third year in a row that I have been to this event and is really the only chance I get in the year to photograph a variety of orchids.

I mainly focused on getting wider shots around 35mm instead of the usual macro shots that I like to get on individual flowers. This year there was plenty of green foliage to go with the orchids this helped fill out the wider shots giving the impression that this years display was more mature in its growth compared to previous years.

Something that was catching the attention of a lot of the visitors to all the greenhouses were the abundance of tame robins that had taken up residence. Their singing was amazing and their trust in people was equally so.

A Robin sitting on a (Cleyera japonica) from India in the Palm House.

No comments:

Post a Comment